San Antonio College
San Antonio College was established as University Junior College in September 1925, under the auspices of the University of Texas. The following year control of the college was transferred to the San Antonio Independent School District and the name was changed to San Antonio Junior College.The college’s first offices were housed at 203 Romano Street on the northwest side of Main Avenue High School near Romano Plaza. The campus was moved in 1926 to the 400 block of South Alamo Street, once home to the German-English school. The name of the college district was changed to San Antonio Community College District in 1978 and in 1982 the district was renamed the Alamo Community College District. In 2009 trustees approved that the ACCD be referred to as Alamo Colleges to encompass all five colleges. In support of the mission of the Alamo Community College District, San Antonio College responds to Bexar County’s diverse community by providing high quality general education, liberal arts and sciences, career education, continuing education and developmental education. The college has an average semester enrollment of 21,000 credit students and an average annual enrollment of 16,000 other-than-credit students. San Antonio College is the largest single-campus community college in Texas and one of the largest in the United States. To learn more, visit www.alamo.edu/sac/.