San Antonio is home to CPS Energy, the largest municipally-owned, vertically integrated, gas and electric utility company within the United States. CPS Energy is a leader in innovation and a strategic partner to San Antonio’s effort to foster the renewable energy sector. Through its New Energy Economy (NEE), which is a strategic approach to incorporate a low or non-carbon emitting energy source while leveraging economic development, CPS Energy has spurred the creation of a solar manufacturing and clean energy technology hub within San Antonio. As a result, the NEE has led to more than $1.4 billion in annual economic impact, over 900 jobs, and over $200 million in educational and capital investment.
San Antonio is also a national leader in green research technology and is home to long-established research entities, including the Texas Sustainable Energy Research Institute (TSERI) at the University of Texas at San Antonio and the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI). CPS Energy seed funded the Texas Sustainable Energy Research Institute with a $50 million commitment, and through its New Energy Economy initiative is attracting energy-efficiency and alternative energy based companies to San Antonio. In addition, the City and Bexar County joined forces with each other – and with the state – to offer your business a variety of incentives.
A Pro-Business Government That’s also Pro-Green
The city, county and state have joined forces to encourage the growth of green industry. Lean more about available incentives here.
CPS Energy is San Antonio’s community-owned, not-for-profit energy provider. Their 1,515-square mile service area includes Bexar County and portions of Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Guadalupe, Medina, Wilson and Kendall counties. CPS Energy is an integral part of San Antonio’s environmental efforts. It leads Texas in solar generation capacity, a non-emitting source that requires no water for generation.
CPS Energy is committed to have 65 percent of its resources classified as either low or non-carbon emitting by 2020. An innovative economic development deal with New Energy Economy partners will result in 450 megawatts of solar energy online by 2017, bringing the Vision 2020 goal to fruition three years early.
The CPS Energy Difference:
- Leader in affordability – bills typically rank among the lowest of the nation’s 20 largest cities.
- Leader in reliability – thanks to a diverse mix of fuels (nuclear, natural gas, coal, and renewable energy resources).
- Leader in renewable energy:
- Ranked #7 in the nation and #1 in Texas for installed solar power.
- Ranked among the largest off-takers of wind energy in the nation.
- Committed to reduce electricity demand by 771 MW by 2020 (Save for Tomorrow Energy Plan) through free residential weatherization, rebates and other incentives.
- Committed to New Energy Economy partnerships by attracting companies that provide renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies while leveraging economic development.
CPS Energy’s incentives to green business
- Sustainable Energy Programs, CPS Energy offers many ways to help customers with sustainability; their programs range from rebates on solar and energy efficient equipment to building optimization programs. More programs and more details can be found at cpsenergy.com/savenow
For more information about CPS Energy, visit cpsenergy.com.